Saturday, January 31, 2009

6th Annual Copperton Chili Cook-off

Well, the long-awaited event is over. Last year I slaved over my stove and crock pot for hours, and spent a bundle on all the ingredients. For years, I've had a "secret" ingredient for chili - cocoa powder. It is a truly authentic Mexican chili ingredient. I didn't win last year. Well, I decided several months ago what "recipe" I was going to cook up for this year's event: Wendy's chili. Yep. Wendy's as in the fast food chain. It took 7 large chili tubs to fill my crock pot. (Cost: about $16.) I nuked the tubs for a minute to heat 'em up before I dumped 'em in, then I put the lid on and packed it up and headed out for the Cook-off. I didn't win, but my crock-pot was empty and I had none to bring home. And Ellen Johnson, the fudge-queen of Copperton, used my secret ingredient in her chili this year, and she DID win. Go figure. Ellen is one of those people with a talent for all things chocolate. She has a fudge-making home business that is going national. The Lion's Club this last year hired her to make 600 lbs of fudge at Christmas, which they distributed to all Copperton homes. It was yummy.
While I am on the subject of chili, I have a family history story to tell. Once, back in Canyon, Texas, the little branch we were in held a social gathering. Granjo brought chili and everyone raved about it. Someone asked her for the recipe, and I can still hear her tell it: (think of her sweet Texas drawl as you read this) "Oh, gosh, take 2 cans Wolf Brand chili, put it on the stove to heat. Burn it nice and black on the bottom, then scrape out what you can into a clean pot and serve it up hot."
Maybe I'll enter her recipe next year.

2 comments:

XO said...

I can actually hear Granjo saying that. We really need to get down there to visit her...when do we get to see you guys again? It's a great time of year for an AZ trip...

Indy said...

That is a super funny story about GranJo